Friday, March 2, 2012

Attentiveness - The Ear

Even though I did the attentiveness unit with my eldest daughter several years ago, we never made the crawl through ear so I was delighted to have the chance to try this activity with my younger two kids.  Actually I don't get to hang out with my little ones as much at co-op now since I am mostly with the HOW group but I sneak in for visits now and then to see what they are up to.






Here they are with my son in the ear canal with the auricle attached and his friend in the eustacian tube sticking out in a funny angle but so that we could
get him in the picture too. The inner ear is located under the table.

The kids could crawl under the table via the ear canal, bang on the ear drum which was made from an oatmeal container.  Then they moved on to the tiny bones: the hammer, anvil and stirrup which we attached to large snail type shell to represent the cochlea.  The electrical cord hanging on the side is the semicircular canal and then they crawl back out through the eustacian tube.

We also have a very large diagram of the inner ear on the wall so they can see how close each of the items would really be.  It was a fun activity and I'm so thankful to be going through our KONOS books again.

This activity can be found in Volume I Attentiveness.


No comments: